Power and Energy Efficiency
Power and Energy Efficiency
At SJ Electronics we understand evolving requirements and offer power test solutions for design validation, characterization, performance testing and certification.
Today’s efficient power converters demand less input power per watt of output, but they also demand more in terms of power supply measurements. You’ve come to the right place to learn about:
- Ripple measurement and noise analysis
- Power factor and harmonics measurements for IEC61000-3-2 pre-compliance
- Testing to Level VI efficiency standards
- Standby power testing to IEC62301 Ed.2
- GaN and SiC FET and diode characterization
- MOSFET switching loss and safe operating area analysis
- In-circuit inductor and transformer loss measurements
Power Pulse Blog Series:
- Power Pulse - Part 1 Of 3: Evaluating Power Supply Performance With An Oscilloscope: From Switching Loss To Switching Noise >
- Power Pulse - Part 2 Of 3: Get A Handle On Energy Consumption And Harmonics Sooner Rather Than Later >
- Power Pulse - Part 3 Of 3: Power Factor And Compliance With ENERGY STAR And IEC 61000-3-2 >
Designing a power supply is a complex process. Learn the 10 stages of power supply design following a work flow with tips at each design stage to make your testing more efficient and life a little easier:
From the early stages of design to the point when it’s ready for market, a new power device undergoes a gamut of test and characterization activities, and you face many steps in bringing that device to market, including...
Energy STAR Power Measurements
The ENERGY STAR® program is designed to help businesses and individuals save money and protect the climate through superior energy efficiency. Measurements of standby, idle state, and sleep mode power may be required as well as the normal on mode power.
Tektronix power analyzers provide accurate measurements of both power and energy consumption in watt-hours (W-h). Simultaneous measurements of power, power factor, total harmonic distortion and harmonics are available, as required by ENERGY STAR. Features such as a color graphics display and 1- click set up help speed measurements while the included PWRVIEW PC software captures data for seamless analysis and reporting.
Power Semiconductor Device Testing
From the early stages of design to the point when it’s ready for market, a new power device undergoes a gamut of test and characterization activities, and you face many steps in bringing that device to market, including:
- Designing new devices to meet evolving needs
- Characterizing full performance of new designs
- Preparing the device for production
- Meeting reliability standards for commercial use
- Implementing the device in actual designs
- Evaluating existing devices and designs for new application requirements
Get the Tektronix e-Guide and learn how to overcome the challenges posed by each stage of the power semi device life cycle.
Standby Power Measurements
Measurement of the power and energy consumed by common domestic and office appliances when they are in standby mode provides several challenges. Not only are the current and power levels very low (in the region 10 milliwatt to 1 watt) but standby power is often drawn in irregular bursts from the AC line.
Special features of Tektronix power analyzers that enable accurate yet easy-to-use solutions for standby power measurement:
- Low current Spiral Shunt™ fitted as standard for high resolution mW measurements
- Standby mode for fast measurements during power supply and appliance development.
- 0.05% basic accuracy for IEC62301 Ed.2 and IEC50564 full compliance standby power testing with the included PWRVIEW pc software.
Break-out box makes the special connections required for accurate standby power measurement safe and easy.
Measuring Power on Lighting Products
Modern lighting, fluorescent or LED must meet demanding requirements for performance including high efficiency and low current distortion.
Tektronix power analyzers provide accurate measurements of electric power at both the input and output of electronic ballasts, enabling engineers quickly and accurately determine ballast efficiency as well as power, power factor, total harmonic distortion and harmonics of the lighting ballast input and output Features such as a color graphics display and 1-click set up help speed measurements while the included PWRVIEW PC software captures data for seamless analysis and reporting.
Related App Notes:
Need to ask a few questions before deciding on the best T&M solution for your application? Leave us a message and one of our technical sales engineers will be in touch.
With our application experience and expertise, our team of technical engineers will listen to your design and research challenges and provide you with the right instruments and solutions for your application.